Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38–39

    Weekend in Madrid

    May 18 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    Train ride to Madrid was nice. We arrived around 2 pm. We were in the process of negotiating the metro out to our accommodation when we met up with Nat, Jennie, and Robert on the station platform. A short train ride out to Anton Martin and our accommodation.
    Within a short while, we had all checked in and were out in the sunshine first to Sol Plaza, then to Plaza Mayor. After a little Sangria in the sunshine, we walked around checking out the local sites and admiring the architecture. With dinner booked for the early time of 7:30pm at Las Cuevas de Luis Candelas (serving traditional Madrid cuisine), we had a little down time before heading out again.
    After breakfast, at one a few places opened on a Sunday morning, we spent a few hours at the Prado Museum admiring its extensive collection. No photos allowed, I discovered after taking a shot of Caravaggios David with the head of Goliath. The stories accompanying other art, such as Reuben's Birth of the Milky Way and The Banquet of Tereus, really captivated me.
    Mercado de San Miguel was the spot for lunch reminding me of the Hawker markets of Singapore...spoiled for gastronomic choice.
    With the sun shining being outdoors was a must, so back to Plaza Mayor to people watch and drink Sangria and Champagne.
    Dinner was at Inclán Brutal Bar...with a 4.7 rating on Google. we were a little disappointed by some of the dishes. Jeremy remarking, it is only worthy of 2.5!
    Nat, Jeremy, and I then headed to a cocktail bar Salmon Guru https://g.co/kgs/okQpQXb recommended by the barman at hotel. It was an atmospheric little place serving interesting cocktails.
    Read more