Uydu
Haritada göster
  • Gün 92

    Don't Cry For Me Argentina

    16 Ocak 2023, Arjantin ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Today is our last full day in Argentina and both Brenda and I are feeling a little sad about having to say "hasta la vista".

    When we first arrived in Mendoza in October, we had no expectations other than the discovery of some kick-ass Malbecs. But by the time we moved off to Santiago ten days later, Argentina was already finding a place in our hearts. The people were all welcoming, friendly and helpful, we found a few excellent vegan friendly restaurants and we discovered not only some fine Malbecs, but also some surprisingly good (and very inexpensive) sparkling wines.

    When it became clear to us that Santiago was no longer a city where we wanted to spend an extended period of time, we were both quite content to return to Mendoza. And as great as it was, people we met, including Mendocinos, began telling us we should visit Cordoba because it is so beautiful and Cordobans are said to be the most fun-loving Argentinians. We couldn't resist and so, after another ten-day stay, we left Mendoza and found an apartment in Cordoba where we stayed for the majority of the rest of our time in South America. The weather was a little warm at times with temperatures reaching 42°C on a couple of occasions, but overall, it was preferable to what was going on back in Canada.

    As well as finding a temporary home close to Parc Sarmiento, where we would go for daily exercise sessions, Brenda found a cello teacher and a cello to rent. We also found a Spanish teacher who helped us tune our ears to the local dialect. I can't express how nice and kind all these people were. Brenda practiced her cello daily and I could hear her playing improving dramatically day to day. We only had four lessons with our Spanish teacher, but she definitely helped us navigate the local lingo.

    Of course, the fact that the Argentine peso is in a constant state of devaluation works very much in our favour and renders the cost of local goods and services extremely affordable. Brenda cracked one of her crowns and had to find a dentist to have it repaired. While she was there, she had a second crown replaced, a dental guard made and her teeth whitened for less than the cost of one crown in Vancouver. She couldn't speak highly enough of the care she received at that office.

    Because we felt so safe in Mendoza and Cordoba, Brenda invited me to Buenos Aires to ring in the New Year and celebrate my birthday. The week we spent there positively flew by and not once did we feel unsafe or ill at ease. We're already talking about a return trip to Argentina where we'll make Buenos Aires our base and make side trips to other areas from there.

    And, to top it all off, we were so fortunate to have been able to share in the entire country's joy as their football team brought home the World Cup for the first time since 1986.

    I don't expect Argentina to cry for me, but I may shed a little tear when I step on the plane tomorrow afternoon.
    Okumaya devam et