Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 3

    Kyoto

    22 juillet 2023, Japon ⋅ 🌙 28 °C

    Gion Matsuri Festival

    Gion Matsuri dates back to 869 and originated as an attempt by the people of Kyoto to appease the gods during an epidemic. Today, it is still held for the entire month of July and is one of Yasaka Shrine’s most important festivals. Following tradition, a local boy is chosen every year as a messenger of the gods, and from July 13 to July 17—the start of the first main parade—he must sit on one of the floats and not touch the ground.

    Despite its namesake, the festival’s main events do not take place in Gion district, but instead are held on the opposite side of the Kamo River along Karasuma and Shijo Street right outside our hotel.

    On each of the three nights before the main parades, Kyoto closes its downtown area to traffic and the streets become enlivened with food stalls and drink venders selling festival staples such as yakitori, taiyaki, takoyaki, and okonomiyaki. During these yoiyama nights, visitors can also observe festival floats up close, which are stationed along the streets, as well as admire artifacts displayed by families in front of their traditional machiya houses. Festival goers often dress in yukata to get into the festive spirit! Yoiyama evenings typically last from 6pm to 11pm.
    En savoir plus