Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Cenote Diving

    June 14, 2016 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 37 °C

    ...after arriving in Tulum and experiencing the stoner hostel we decided to venture out and dive a few of the world renowned Cenotes - old limestone cave systems harbouring fresh water, salt water or even the two in layers, like oil and water they don't mix, very weird and cool! The Riviera Maya here in Mexico is home to both, the largest and second largest known underwater cave system in the world.

    After chatting to a few people we've picked to dive Gran Cenote and Car Wash.

    The first full of Stalegmites hanging from the ceiling and sticking off the ground, forming beautiful columns and other figures in the cold, crystal clear, bright blue water! We even saw ancient indigenous pottery in some of the caves, dating back into the age of the mayas , before the caves where flooded by sea and ground water the mayas used them for storage, living and rituals. Very beautiful and spooky at the same time to dive through these hidden caves knowing that thousands of years ago the mayas resided here.

    Car Wash was different, at this time of year this 'pond-like' sinkhole looks like a gigantic green-brown puddle, due to a 3 meter thick algae build up on the surface. Once beneath it though, the water becomes completely clear and bright green, with tiny beams of sunlight shining through the algae. There are weird colourful plants, dead roots of trees and thick rotten branches sticking out of the muddy ground, all together adding to the spooky atmosphere while diving slowly along with a few little grey fish out of the sinkhole, away from the surface into the cavern and cave systems ...a very awesome experience :)

    .....at least there was no boat to leave us behind this time ;) (like during our wreck dive)

    Would highly recommend diving Cenotes if you ever get the chance.

    -Seb-
    Read more