Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Chichén Itza

    June 16, 2016 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 35 °C

    Some call it the most impressive ruin of all, with its massive perfectly shaped and positioned main pyramid in the centre.

    The first stop with our guide was the ball field with its fascinating and mysterious accustics, which due to its architecture and high walls allows to hear someone talking at the other end of the 96m long field where the upper class Mayans used to play their rubber ball game. With 7 players in each team it quite reminds of a mixture of basketball and soccer...

    Afterwards carrying on to the platforms where rituals and offerings (also human offerings of decapitated enemies was held, to the main pyramid. We were lucky enough to arrive early in the morning, before the crowds in all the largest tourist busses, so we almost never had people in our way and could try out the echoing sound of our hands clapping being reflected from the pyramids stairs (sounding exactly like the singing of the Quetzal, sacred bird of the Mayas).

    We discussed the positioning of the pyramid right in the centre of 4 Cenotes to the north, south, east and west. And he told us that only last year during a new screening of the pyramid archeologists had found another (dried out) Cenotes/cave system under the pyramid, this coming October excavations will start as they're expecting interesting offerings and maybe more hidden treasures inside, that could teach us about their surprisingly advanced knowledge of the stars, the astrology and maybe provide more information on how and why these giant structures were built in such a perfect position.

    Btw for those of you who didn't know, only twice a year during sunrise (21st March and 21st September), the shortest and longest days of the year, start of spring and automn the sun lights over the corner of the pyramid and draws little triangles on the side of the staircase so that step by step the light is 'crawling' down from the top of the pyramid down the side to finally light the head of a massive snake...coincidence???

    You may believe what you want, but after visiting the great pyramids in Egypt, the Inka ruins in South America, Angkor Wat in Cambodia, the Nasca lines in Peru and the Mayan sites here in central, even the most sceptical person starts to question about what we're tought in science and history...

    -Seb & Stef-
    Read more