Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Metro Line K

    June 23, 2015 in Colombia ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    Escobar was not universally hated, though. Many economically disadvantaged people considered him to be a modern day Robin Hood because he did things that benefitted them. In the aftermath of his death, city officials realized that one of the key reasons why people in disadvantaged communities - many of which were built into steep hillsides fringing the city - supported Escobar was because they were physically isolated from the city and its economic and educational opportunities. For this and other reasons, the city built a metro to connect the people, and for the hillside communities, they built cable cars lines that connected with the rest of the metro network. I also understand that several long escalators were built into other hillsides. Collectively, this was an effort to include and engage the communities on the periphery.

    On my third day, we took the metro to Acevedo station where we connected to the Line K cable car. The first section of the cable car, which has four stops from Acevedo to Santa Domingo station, is included in the single trip metro fare of COP 2,000. Along the way, we passed over the communities built into the hillside and saw glimpses of life there. I was impressed by how many public spaces there were. There was also a large library and community space.

    https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/gondolas-of…

    https://www.travelblog.org/South-America/Colomb…
    Read more