Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    Muxia, Spain

    April 30, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 63 °F

    We moved a little further north along what is known as La Costa da Morte, "The Death Coast," to Muxia, [pronounced moo-she-a]. We spent a few days here before both of us caught stomach bugs. After 2 months of traveling, it was bound to happen. We still managed to explore this quaint fishing village rich in legend and gooseneck barnacles.

    Some believe that Mary (yes, the Virgin Mary, Jesus’ mother) appeared along the rocky shores of Muxia in a stone boat to encourage the Apostle James to keep preaching. The stone boat then broke up into smaller stones. These stones are still here, and legend has it that they possess healing powers. Pagan legend predating Christianity’s takeover of Spain also regard the stones with mysticism.

    Perched behind the mystical rock formations stands the Sanctuary of “A Nosa Señora da Barca” the Virgin of the Boat, originally built in the 12th century to replace Celtic worshipping grounds. Whether you are a believer or not, seeing the cathedral along the rocky shores is a sight to behold, especially at sunset. To me, that’s when the real magic happens.

    Like Finisterre, Muxia is another finishing point on the Camino de Santiago. If you saw the movie, "The Way," this is where Martin Sheen’s character sat on the rocks and released the ashes of his son.
    Read more