Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Boats, Birds, and Burren Blooms

    May 13, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 84 °F

    We woke to beautiful blue skies for our trip to the Aran Islands (think Aran sweaters). The ferry ride was about 30 minutes out to the smallest and closest of the three islands. We toured in a "pony and trap" featuring Michael and Murphy. English is a second language for Michael as Galic is the spoken language of the island natives. He was a fisherman until he had to give it up by about 70 years old. Aran sweaters were designed and worn by the fishermen and each family had their own pattern. 

    Michael taught us about the fields and rock walls that are seen throughout the island (and much of Ireland)! The green fields we see were once full of stone that had to be sledgehammered into smaller bits. These rocks then needed to be moved someplace, so they used them to build fences. On the island, after the rock was busted up and the fences were built, they had to prepare the land for planting or grazing as there was little soil. In order to create soil, they hauled in sand and seaweed for years while slowly turned into useable soil for growing. 

    After our time on the island, we rode by the Cliffs of Moher for a "closer look" tour. We weren't as close as I had hoped to be able to see the nesting birds on the cliffs. So, I decided to focus on the birds I could see out in the water. My goal was to spot a puffin! My ability to spot a bit of orange from quite the distance paid off. 😂 PUFFIN SPOTTED and photographed! I know, this image is not going to be winning any prizes except in my own mind, but I am good with that. 

    The afternoon was spent in The Burren. This is an area that was formed millions of years ago and is "a vast cracked pavement of glacial-era limestone". It also is home to "an incredible array of flowers, from native species to Artic, Alpine and Mediterranean plants"!! They use a form of farming here called "winterage" where they allow cattle to graze these hills in winter. This clears the ground of tough grass and allows flowers and such to bloom come spring. Who knew such rocky terrrain could bloom so beautifully. 

    Back in Doolin for the evening, we had an amazing dinner of blue, European lobster that was caught that morning! They are not as common as the American lobsters due to the fact they grow slower, and that leads to a tasty, more tender lobster. Best one we have ever eaten! 

    It was another really great day. 
    Read more