Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Katse Dam wall tour

    January 19, 2017 in Lesotho ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    On our way from the Dam to Katse Lodge we stopped at the Visitors' Centre to enquire about tours. Angela had insisted we should do a tour that goes through a tunnel. There was a tour to the Dam wall at 14h00. It was then 13h15.
    Decisions, decisions.
    We decided to check how far it was to the Lodge and then decide.
    Well, it took about 10 mins, so we collected our key, looked at the room and drove back to the Visitors' Centre. We had crackers and cheese and Coke for lunch and then waited for about half an hour for Neo the tour guide to turn up.
    But it was all worth it! The Dam wall is an amazing feat of engineering. And it is full of tunnels with all sorts of cables, laser beams and other technology that monitors every groan and sigh.
    Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pictures inside the Wall, but we made the most of it outside.
    We even drove across the wall and stopped to admire the view and take more pictures.
    This morning we took the short cut back across the wall (we had asked the guard very nicely yesterday if we might) which saved about 30 mins of driving round and round and up and down.
    Read more