Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    The remainder of Day 12

    July 6, 2018 in Finland ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    After the HAM we wandered around town, did a bit of shopping, visited Temppeliaukion Kirkko, also referred to as the Rock Church - it was very weird. It was designed by Timo and Tuomo Suomalainen in 1969. The walls are constructed of rock pieces, and there is a 24 metre roof covered By 22km of copper stripping. When it rains water runs down the rock face, and so drains have been installed around the base of the walls. Apparently the acoustics are exceptional.

    We then strolled through the city, and looked in a few stores. I still need to go into Stockmans, their major department store, for a gander though. We then headed back down to Market Square to take a ride on the Helsinki Sky Wheel, which Ian had mistakenly thought was free with our Helsinki Card, when in fact we received only a 2 euro (10%) discount. It was a pretty crappy experience. The wheel is very small - more like a ferris wheel - and the glass is tinged blue, so all my photos from the wheel are crappy and unusable! All up, there were three fairly quick round trips, and it only lasted about 10 minutes.

    After the disappointment of the wheel we needed to reward ourselves, so we had a lovely drink in the sunshine - a glass of Veuve Cliquot will do that! We went to a lovely bistro for dinner, The Cock, not far from our apartment. I had their hose G & T which comprises pink grapefruit, lingonberry and Helsinki dry gin, and it was delicious. Ian is still working his way through the Finnish beers on offer! We also ate some food.
    Read more