Uydu
Haritada göster
  • Gün 10

    Saint-Come-d'Olt and the Convent

    28 Nisan, Fransa ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Saint-Come-d’Olt is good enough to have its own page...It is rated as one of France's most picturesque villages, and that would be hard to argue with that. It is apparently an official designation. The few people we met were also extremely pleasant.

    We are staying in a convent in a town that has had pilgrims for perhaps a thousand years. Perhaps it’s a ritual everywhere, but people are sitting in the convent garden soaking their feet in buckets of water.

    As written before, it is in an Ursuline convent about 0.75 km out of town. The room counts as austere, but the building has a great library and amazing wooden staircase that is as it was in the 1200s (allegedly). It is not cold: quite the opposite: we opened the window after dinner to cool the room down.

    The old convent is a change. Anne went to Vespers at 6:30pm and sang along in French with around 15 French hikers and 8 or 10 octogenarian sisters, then dinner. It was cooked and served boarding school style - fair enough, as it is staffed by volunteers. One (our guide as we arrived, and Anne's Vespers music book and singing partner) placed us in a queue and pointed to the trays. We were passed a bowl of soup (potato based, we decided) by another, then given a plate with rice, red-capsicum mix and fried chicken, we collected our own caramel log from the next section, then collected a glass, bread and cutlery, and went to sit in the cavernous but light-coloured hall. The tables had carafes of water and red wine. We sat with two Australian women (Lane Cove and Lavender Bay) who used to be special-needs teachers in remote NSW. We had seen them over the last few days, but they are staying another night here. At the end one packed one’s own tray and put it in a large trolley of shelves - like an airline, but 3x higher.

    Breakfast in the morning ran on the same basis: cornflakes, limitless bread, an urn of coffee and one of hot water, lots of jam, orange juice and yoghurt. All cheerful. As we left, a younger Ursuline sister farewelled us ( in good English) at the convent door.
    Okumaya devam et