Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Paris

    May 10 in France ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    We left the hotel in Bordeaux around 7:45, walked to the station, went through the barrier where tickets were scanned, found our seats on the upper deck of the Ouigo train, and waited, with three heavily-armed policemen outside our carriage window. The train left exactly on time and arrived in Paris 2hts 27mins later. It was a long walk to the Metro, but the Metro train came quickly, and we were at the hotel (Villa Pantheon) by 12. Within a few minutes they had a room ready, so we unpacked and then set off to nowhere in particular, but via Notre Dame, which is a 20 min walk away.

    Notre Dame is still closed for restoration, but there were crowds around it anyway. The displays down one side showed some of the salvage and restoration work, with pictures of the delicate stonework and intricate wooden trusses (some the size of houses) that will be hidden for centuries once the restoration is complete.

    Paris was very crowded, very dry and almost hot - 29deg. It was not ideal, but it had a buzz. We walked to the Place des Voges, which I loved when I saw it in 1975, then to the Louvre and its 500m long queue for tickets (no thanks), the gardens , the Seine again (they will swim in that? really??) and back up Rue St Germaine and on to the Rue des Ecoles, in the Quartier Latin, and our hotel. It is near the Sorbonne, so lots of young people (I think Anne wonders whether she is back at work), but it is also near the trail of Agnes Goodsir, my great-great-aunt. More tomorrow, but we almost went past her house on the way to the hotel in the morning: she lived at 18 Rue de l'Odeon.

    Paris may be a lovely city, but right now beset by hordes of tourists (like us...). Most of all there seem to be lots of Americans, including one kneeling to propose in the Tuileries Garden, and his new fiancee.

    We set out around 7:30 for dinner, as the air was cooler but the light still beautiful. The hotel is close to the Sorbonne, and there were young people everywhere, although the were certain cafes they flocked to, and others (touristy looking) that they avoided. Buildings along the streets often had signs saying they were the School of something-or-other, and the ground floor windows often looked in on rows of seats. We found a brasserie on the other side of the Pantheon...nice atmosphere, and pretty, quiet street.

    22,193 steps, 17.6km, 4 flights
    Read more