Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Bribie & Glass House Mountains

    November 8, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 35 °C

    21 miles of sandy beach, you’ve got to have a look. Drove across to the ocean side of the island, parked up and walked over the baking sand down to the sea. Sandals off and walk through the surf northwards. We didn’t walk far, a few hundred yards up to an old submarine lookout. My history never mentioned much about WW2 in Australia. While there we watched a fisherman attach his hook and bait to a drone, fly it out about 50m and drop it rather than casting from the beach. Very impressive considering the strong winds, but a bit of a cop-out.

    Back to Bertha and a drive up to Glass House Mountains lookout. A bit of a climb. At the lookout the temperature was a reported 37C and the strong breeze felt as if it had come straight from an oven.

    “The Glass House Mountains are a cluster of thirteen hills that rise abruptly from the coastal plain on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. The highest hill is Mount Beerwah at 556 metres above sea level, but the most identifiable of all the hills is Mount Tibrogargan which from certain angles (that we didn’t see) bears a resemblance to a face staring east towards the ocean.

    The Volcanic peaks of the Glass House Mountains rise dramatically from the surrounding Sunshine Coast landscape. They were formed by intrusive plugs, remnants of volcanic activity that occurred 26-27 million years ago. Molten rock filled small vents or intruded as bodies beneath the surface and solidified into land rocks. Millions of years of erosion have removed the surrounding exteriors of volcanic cores and softer sandstone rock.”

    We left there and drove to the cafe for an iced coffee.
    Read more