Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 144

    Landrover on a pole ...

    March 3, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Having arranged for viewings of Bertha on Friday and Saturday, we decided to set off, as planned, but to stop off to see relatives near Melbourne on Wednesday and Thursday.

    Adelaide is coastal and almost totally surrounded on the land by steep hills, so it was a bit of a flog up to the top. Once there the land was remarkably flat and we rattled along at a good pace (90-100kmh).

    We shared the driving and while I was passenger we remembered that we are not allowed to transport fruit across from one state to another, so I looked for a campsite just before the state border to allow us a night to eat anything that we shouldn’t take to Victoria. I found a campsite that offered zero facilities requiring campers to be fully self contained, as we are. The description doesn’t say much other than quite sternly saying they don’t accept children under 10 and dogs are not allowed. The reviews are all about “up close and personal experiences with animals” Nd one review suggested just dropping by for a look around. As we do like having electric I thought we’d drop by for a look around. I telephoned to check that would be OK, but no answer, so left a message.

    There were many towns and sights we could have detoured off to see, including many wineries, but we stuck to the route to make good time. However, as in many parts of Australia, some of the grain silos are painted with lovely artwork. We also came across the town of Keith and that is famous for having a land rover on a pole ... a long story https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-24/keiths-l…

    When we turned up at the campsite there was a paddock of kangaroos and wallabies. We parked at the entrance and walked down asking someone feeding them where we could find Treena, the owner? They went off and returned with Treena who looked as stern as her comments about children and dogs. She said we couldn’t look around as they didn’t have time to show people about. Unsure what to do (stay as self-contained or move to another campsite) we then saw two small wombats run across the garden lawn. There was no decision to be made, we were staying. Treena showed us where to park, warned us that we were next to a wombat pen, they are nocturnal and would keep us awake and then said we could sit in the chairs under the house veranda and play with the young kangaroo, wallaby and wombat joeys.
    Read more