Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 159

    The Murray Darling Confluence

    March 18, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    A full day started with a trip along the Murray River at Mildura in an old paddle steamer, the PS Melbourne. The steamer was built in 1912. The engine sits in the centre of the boat and chugs very slowly driving both paddles. It was a very leisurely cruise on a glorious day.

    We went on to the local information centre to identify where best to view the confluence and learn of other points of interest.

    Lunch in the local pub that has a tractor next to the bar, a visit to the pioneer museum, a look around the old gaol, up the observation towers to view the confluence, on to the lock, up to the desert to see God’s Tree - a 500 year old gum tree that constantly has sand build up around it so that only the canopy shows - and it’s a big canopy, and lastly the tractor up a pole.

    The grey Ferguson T20 tractors hold a special place in the hearts of the locals. The Murray and the Darling drain different areas of Australia, collectively 1/7 of the land mass of Aus’ and 70% of the agriculture of Australia. It was believed that the two rivers would not both flood at the same time. In 1956 they did. It took time for the waters to flow to Wentworth, during which time all available workers came with their tractors to build a levy to protect the time. After weeks of 24hr working the levies protected the town. There is a tractor in the hotel and one up a pole!
    Read more