Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Around the farm and about Camperdown

    September 27, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    I've already written this once and then it disappeared ... so this is an abbreviated post :-(

    Our first problem was that we couldn't turn off a set of LED strips without turning off all of our lighting circuits. Yes, a tiny single-room home does have more than one pendant light. Even in the light of the morning, I couldn't find a switch. I called the dealership who went and looked at their stock vehicle and told me where the microswitches are located - a new upgrade to this model. Why, when all of the switches and controls are in one place, would you fit microswitches elsewhere?

    Last night, the temperature had fallen to about 7C outside and 12C in Bill so we thought we ought to find a blanket for the bed during the day.

    We had b'fast with the family and then set off in the pickup (UTE) to check the sheep that were lambing and then check on the shearers. While lambing takes place in the spring, shearing the flock of 7,000 is done on three occasions during the year depending upon the breed of sheep and its purpose. Merino sheep are bred for wool and ewes fleeces can be up to 7kg, rams up to 15kg. If the ewe lambs and has a full fleece made heavier by rain, she can have a problem getting back up again, so they are sheared some months prior to lambing.

    After lunch, we drove off to Camperdown to try to find a blanket and other accessories for Bill. Camperdown, like so many of the towns we have visited, has so much to see (https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/camperdown-vic). Prior to European settlement, the Kuurn Kopan Noot First Nation people called the area home. The first settlers in the district were John, Thomas and Peter Manifold who came to take up a 100,000 acre run in 1839. There are many references to the Manifold family - one might say there are manifold references ... :-). One of the main streets is called Manifold, they donated a hospital and a clock tower. It's easy to turn up in a town like this and spend a great deal of time wandering around and learning about its history.

    There is also a bakery-cum-coffee shop (Loaf & Lounge) that made us some lovely iced coffee and sold us a delicious malt loaf. Alas, there were no blankets.

    That evening we were set on being self-sufficient, but had no pots or pans so we just ate cheese sandwiches (Andy had pickle as he'd found a jar of Branston's) and an apple.

    The night was cold but we were toasty and we managed to get the lights to work, so not a bad outcome.
    Read more