Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Sawpit Gorge

    May 17, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Time to move on again, this time via Halls Creek, which is just as crappy a place as I suspected.
    Made worse by the drinking water tap not working, and nobody taking responsibility (neither the shell station where its located, nor the shire.)

    We were happy to move on quickly - its not a friendly vibe in town. We did manage to pick up some beer though, at only $80 for a box of Carlton Light :-/

    Lunch at Caroline’s pool, which was pleasant enough but not amazing, before pushing on to sawpit gorge.
    A rough track down to the water, but the car and trailer handled it easily. Getting out could be the difficult bit, with deep pits to lose a wheel in. Fingers crossed…

    A picturesque spot, and all to ourselves for the two nights we’ve stayed here. We tried our hand at fishing and pulled up a whole heap of little brim and cod - I think our gear is a bit light weight to catch anything of eating size though.

    The boys are reminiscent of a book I knew as a child - “ The River Boys”. Lots of building things, catching fish, swimming, building “dams”, jumping off trees and rocks and full of imagination. Max is in awe of his big brother, which is very sweet.

    The days are long and full - Centine is down by 6pm, the boys about the same. Hugo, being 9 and thus very mature now stays up to read, or comes out to join in an evening cup of tea, but we are generally all asleep by 7:30.

    On our second night here we lay awake listening to a pack of wild dingos - hard to tell how many, but definitely more than 4. A little unnerving, and reason enough for us to pack down and move on this morning…
    Read more