Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Paarl

    June 22, 2010 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    http://www.travelark.org/travel-blog-entry/tofo…

    Today I was picked up at 8.30 for a wine tour with a small group.
    The tour went to a variety of vineyards from the region of Stellenbosch and Paarl, just northeast of Cape Town.

    There were three different places for wine tasting, which included both red and whites, as well as a couple desert wines.
    Im not huge on reds, but a couple of them were drinkable enough to suggest that more mature tastebuds would appreciate them. The cheese tasting was equally as awesome... how I love cheeses.

    We stopped at the historic town of Stellenbosch to walk about at lunch. Its a beautiful little town, where one of Cape Towns best universities is located. We had a nice lunch at a vineyard here. It was really beautiful, a light steak with wine, in the sunshine overlooking mountain ranges and wine fields

    The final stop was Paarl, dutch for the word Pearl, after the appearance of two giant boulders on the horizon, when they glimmer in the sunlight.
    Along the way here we also stopped by Victor Verster Prison where Nelson Mandela was finally released from imprisonment in 1990.
    The tour was a most welcome change of pace in regards to the company. It was refreshing to meet and travel with an awesome, intelligent and cultured group of people from all ages, and all over the world. There were two people from Germany, two from America, two young guys from Denmark, and a couple from England. It was kinda sad to say goodbye after the full day tour..

    It wont be so difficult to say goodbye to my fanatics group, in just a couple days time.
    Read more