Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Mostar

    September 30, 2023 in Bosnia and Herzegovina ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    So, 2 october im still in mostar, feeling pretty shitty or under the weather. The weather is awesome though.

    Yesterday I chatted some american up about turkish coffee (and how this weird cup arrangement that they serve it with is to be understood—turns out there is no unique proper etiquette, they just do it confuse people) and he recommended the museum on the war and genocide. Being in a particular predilection for a good understanding of history, I continued to study the horrors that were being done in this country. (This odd usage of language is just for my own pleasure.)

    Well, having had little knowledge of the geopolitical history of the conflict, I ended up with a chat with an employee of the museum. The yugoslav wars were very complex, but unbelievable brutal.

    Basically, in my understanding, the croats wanted independence from yugoslavia, and then, having nationalistic ideals, croats in bosnia also wanted a self-proclaimed “croat republic of herzeg-bosnia”. Serbs (by far the worst in the conflict in terms of genocide and mass-rape) were ultra-nationalistic, didn’t accept the new state of bosnia, and sought for a greater serbia, including republica srpska. First the croats fought with the bosniaks (who were given a very small piece of land under proposed partitions), against the serbs, also defending mostar. Then after a while, the croats talked with the serbs about a new partition, fell out with the bosniaks, and attacked their former allies and destroyed the bridge here in mostar.

    This is not intended as a full summary, but just serves to remind everyone that these nationalistic tendencies —also of greater hungary, austria, slovakia— will only lead to horrible wars. They are misconceptions, this unity that these people believe in doesn’t exist. Self-proclaimed states or annexations only lead to atrocities, and will not solve any issues in life, it will only end it.

    Yeah this is still a travel blog: nothing said that travel blogs cannot be educational or opinionated.

    Also, watch “quo vadis, aida?”
    Read more