Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 195

    Hanoi, Vietnam

    March 16, 2016 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Our Vietnam leg started with a stay in the Galaxy Hotel and Capsule in Hoi Chi Minh City. Due to the fact we had dwindled down to three people, we were able to afford and fit in a triple room. It was a bit of luxury having a room to ourselves and being able to spread our stuff around the room.
    Our first activity in Ho Chi Minh was a day trip to the Mekong Delta. We were picked up by our guide Tao at 7.30am and drove an hour and a half to the tour boat. We drove along the Mekong river which is the longest river in Vietnam and passed by the floating markets where they sold pineapples, watermelons and mangos on the boats. Families live on these boats all year round and the children go to school on the islands. They even manage to get satellite TV! We then stopped at the local market where we saw how they use rice to make rice wine (29% alcohol) and popping rice (an alternative to corn) which is flavoured with ginger and coconut. The coconut milk is processed into a paste and used to make chewy sweets wrapped in rice paper. We were also shown the honeybee hives, where the honey produced is used to make honey tea and honey ointments for the skin. Next we transfered onto a row boat and got to wear the traditional Vietnamese hats while the lady rowed us to our lunch stop. After lunch we napped on the hammocks before cycling alongside the river to our boat before heading back to Ho Chi Minh. This tour was an interesting one and it was good to see the local culture. That evening we had a brief reunion with Rebecca and Elliott having dinner and a few drinks.
    Next day we walked to the War Museum where we learned about the history of the Vietnam War with USA and saw the harrowing results and devastation caused by the events from 1959-1975. We walked around town seeing the Cathedral, the Opera House and the Saigon river before we got a overnight sleeper bus to Da Lat that night.
    We arrived early in the morning in Da Lat, so we checked into our hotel, Thien Kim Guesthouse, and caught a few hours sleep. We went for brunch in the amazing 'One More Cafe'. The staff were lovely and gave each of us a rose for International Women's Day. Such a lovely thought on an important day in this part of the world. Then we got a taxi to the cable car and rode it up through the beautiful mountains. We sat by the Xuan Huong lake and went in search of the local waterfall. After asking various people for directions we still failed to find it and headed back to the cable cars, only to miss the last one by five minutes. We tried to convince the cablecar operator to let us on but to no avail, so instead we got a taxi back into town. We stopped at the Hang Nga Guesthouse, also know as the 'Crazy House'. It is like an unconventional fairytale style house, with various shaped tunnels, caves, stairways and bridges. We spent about an hour here, exploring the area like little children.
    Next day was travel day to Hoi An. We were picked up by mini bus at midday and drove three hours to Nha Trang where we had a three and a half hour stopover before getting on the night bus. This was the last of 31 long buses together so it was time for some reminiscing about the various highlights of the trip.
    We arrived in early morning in Hoi An and got a motorbike taxi to the amazing Full House Homestay. We were met by the owner Lee who gave us lots of information about the area and gave us bicycles to use to get around the town. We cycled into town and had a lovely breakfast to celebrate Edel's birthday. We walked around the beautiful streets with little shops selling crafts and handmade clothing. After an afternoon nap, we cycled to the beach and had dinner in the highly recommended Cay Me restaurant.
    The following day was a day for the bikes. We were met by our guide and thrown straight in the deep end. With no demonstration we were just given our bikes and told to get going. This was never going to end well, as I started my bike and somehow ended up driving my bike up onto the kerb, taking out a few flower pots on the way! Not a great start but I just had to plow on with getting used to the bike. We headed out the main road of Hoi An towards Da Nang. It took us a while to get use to the road etiquette of overtaking, signalling and breaking. But we soon got use to it. Our first stop was Da Nang beach where we stretched the legs on a walk along the prom. Next we drove up the Son Tra peninsula to the large 67 metre high Lady Buddha (Bodhisattva of Mercy) statue. As we were driving up the twisty and windy road to Hai Van Pass, my bike broke down and needed roadside repairs by our guide. The bike was probably still in shock after the initial incident with the plant pots. After a few minutes repairs, we were all set to go drive to the top of the Pass, where we stopped for a mineral and had a beautiful view of the Da Nang beach. Next we drove down the mountain and through the busy Da Nang city traffic to Marble Mountain. We had a lovely lunch at the foot of the mountain before climbing up it through the various caves and temples. This finished off a fun day of riding the bikes. We drove back to Hoi An and went out that night to celebrate us all being in one piece after the day of adrenaline and adventure.
    Next day was the dreaded day where we said an emotional farewell to Nina who was staying in Hoi An a bit longer with her Mam and Aunt. Edel and I were driven to Da Nang airport where we got the hour long flight to Hanoi. We were picked up at the airport by our driver and dropped off at our hotel (Dahlia Hotel).
    In Hanoi, we did some shopping at the Dong Xuan market and on Hang Dau (Shoe Street) and Hang Gai (Silk Street). We went for dinner at the lovely Gecko restaurant, before tackling the night market on Hang Giay.
    Next morning we headed on our tour to Halong Bay, one of the Seven Wonders of Nature. We met our excellent guide Minh on the bus who entertained us for the four hour drive with various facts about the area and Vietnam. He was one guide who was passionate about his job and his country. An hour and half into the journey we stopped at a craft workhouse for people with disabilities. The paintings, embroidery, clothing and jewellery was all handcrafted and sold by these incredible people. After a bit of shopping here, we got back on the bus and headed to the port where we boarded the Majestic cruise ship. As we sailed into the bay, a large buffet lunch was served with various known and unknown fish and meat to us. Our first stop was the Sung Sot Cave, only discovered by a fisherman in 1992 during a typhoon where he sought shelter. We walked through the three chambers looking at the various stalagmites and stalactites. Next stop was the Halong Bay Pearl Farm. Here we were shown the process of fishing, growing and implanting the Akoya, South Sea and Talitian oysters to form various coloured pearls. Only 30% of oysters produce pearls and to demonstrate this, Edel was asked to choose a oyster which, when cut open, was empty. The shipped anchored down for the night in a quiet cove of the Bay while we watched the lovely sunset. We also got a chance to swim in the cold but refreshing water before dinner. Another big feast was served for dinner, this time in the form of a barbecue. This along with a happy hour at the bar lead to a lovely evening. Before bed we did squid fishing, well went in search of some squid but failed miserably. The only person to be successful was a local worker on the boat. He put the rest of us to shame.
    Next morning was an early start with some tai chi on the top deck before breakfast. We then went kayaking in the calm water around a local fishing village. We returned to the boat where Minh showed us how to make Vietnamese spring rolls which were fried and served at lunch. We returned to the port and got the bus back to Hanoi, where we reflected on a lovely trip and a bucket list item achieved!
    When we arrived back at the Dahlia Hotel, we were met with a lovely surprise by the staff who had upgraded us to the honeymoon sweet! This was such a nice treat for our last night together. We finished off with another lovely dinner at the Gecko restaurant where we had some long awaited steak and apple pie.
    Next morning we had another emotional goodbye at the airport as we went our separate ways (Edel off Downunder and I'm going to the Land of the Rising Sun). Vietnam was a surprisingly amazing and beautiful country and one of my favourites that we've been to. It helped me get over the emotional farewells over the past few weeks, with these amazing young ladies. Wouldn't have done it without them. Now it is time to dabble my hand at some solo travelling for a little bit. It's going to be a test after the incredible last six months with the best friends in the world!
    Read more