Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 191

    Border crossing Kyrgyzstan-Uzbekistan

    September 17, 2019 in Kyrgyzstan ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    This border crossing was a special one. Why? Well, we had just arrived back in Osh at 4.10am this morning! Tom and I had flown back to Germany for a few days to see friends and family and attend two weddings. After a super exciting and special time that really felt like a holiday from our overlanding journey, today was the day to be reunited with Hans again. Quite wonderful.
    We pick up the car at Vlad's garage, get a few last bushings fixed, fill up the tanks (both of them as we're not sure about Diesel in Uzbekistan), get the last few groceries and head for the border.
    We know it's not far out from the city, but yet we're surprised how quickly we reach it. The Kyrgyz side is bustling with market stalls and money exchange booths but before I can suggest to exchange some money, we're already at the front gate. Tom had simply passed the long line of trucks and no one seems to mind. Quite the opposite: once we're through the first gate cars are even asked to move so that we can proceed. Tourists definitely enjoy advantages here. Someone picks up our temporary import document for Hans, our passports are stamped through a side window so the we don't have to queue, a quick look into Hans and off we are towards the Uzbek side.
    Here, we're not separated for the first time and both Tom and I get our passports checked by the (very good looking) guy who processes the paperwork for drivers. Lucky me, the "normal" hall seems to be a beehive! Tom and I are witnessing loud shouting, long queues and general discomfort while waiting for our papers. In the customs area just in front, things are much calmer. Our passports are stamped quickly, Tom takes care of Hans's paperwork and I get the honour to lead through the customs inspection for the first time. The customs officer actually laughs with me as I present the spatula when asked if we carry any weapons. Besides not getting a temporary import document (let's hope we won't need it) and a bit of confusion if we can go or not (we needed to stop for the dogs again, but were quickly released thereafter) a very nice and smooth border crossing. All thanks to us being tourists. Being preferred felt weird but at the same time we were super grateful as the day had already filled out heads with so many thoughts and impressions I'm not sure we would have been able to handle any problems. So thank you, sweet people in line and border officers. Uzbekistan, we're ready for you.
    Read more