Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 7 Kirkwall, Orkney Islands

    August 7, 2019 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Kirkwall, heard of it? Well I’m guessing probably not so I’ll tell you a little about it. It is the capital of the Orkney Islands situated off the northern end of the Scottish mainland and was a key naval stronghold in both world wars. The township itself is larger than we expected and appears to have about 9000 people living there with a good array of sites, shops and pubs.

    The weather can be challenging but played ball for us today with temps about 14 - 16 degrees and no rain. Remember this absolute peak summer.... Regardless it is a really pretty place with a surprising amount to see. We didn’t do any of the formal tours on offer, instead deciding to find our own entertainment.

    That consisted of firstly a visit to the wireless museum, it’s tiny but packed with old radio equipment, games and gimmicks, including a game of the original Pong which we played and should you ever find yourself in the area, part willingly with the 3 pound entry fee and treat yourself to some old radio nostalgia (see photos!).

    Then off to the actual Orkney Museum to take a look at the exhibition they had about the scuttling of the German Fleet at the end of the First World War. 52 ships were scuttled in Scapa Flow (the area of water almost completely surrounded by the Orkney Islands) by the German Navy commander after they were forced to surrender and sent to the Orkneys where they could be kept secure and boxed in.

    There is also the remnants of an Earls’ Palace, a really large non-denominational cathedral, some lovely shops in a pedestrian area and about 6 pubs!

    We had lunch (and a pint of Orkney Gold for me) at the largest of the Hotels - the Kirkwall, my lunch included a haggis filling which was very tasty.

    The islanders consider themselves to be as much Norwegian as they are Scottish, although that said we were farewelled by the local highland dance troupe!

    Trivia Update - our team was reduced to 6 tonight but still managed second place and we were well happy with that.

    Photos - Highland Dancers waving us goodbye; the Kirkwall Hotel; the Wireless Museum; Pong!; Downtown (me in foreground again), Earls’ Palace (i am again in the way); the Bishop’s Palace; St Magnus Cathedral
    Read more