Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Day 10 Akureyri, Iceland

    August 10, 2019 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    We arrived early in Akureyri (a ku rare ri) and had arranged another independent tour with 10 other passengers. It was a long day of Waterfalls, thermal activity and hot springs.... Akureyri is Iceland’s second largest city with a population of around 22,000.

    We first visited Godafoss (waterfall of the gods) which is a little like the Huka Falls only a bit bigger. By this time it was apparent that Iceland was going to live up to its name as it was getting seriously cold. The supposed top temp for the day was meant to be 7 degrees but if it reached that I’d be surprised and we had driving wind and sleety rain most of the day.

    That did put a downer on bits of the day as it was just too cold and wet to really appreciate the sites we were seeing. this became especially apparent at the Dentafoss Waterfall (forgive the spelling) which is Europe’s most powerful waterfall and seriously impressive. Unfortunately by the time we arrived the weather was at it’s worst and it is a posted 15 minute walk to the falls from the car park.

    Christine and I managed to do it in about 7 minutes with the rest of our group trailing way behind but it was so cold and wet we literally took a couple of photos and headed back. Despite our rain gear we were seriously wet and cold when we got back to the van. Then it was off to the Myvatn Hot springs where I was the only one of our group brave enough to take a swim (and it was well worth it!).

    We saw some Game of Thrones filming locations and view other scenic locations featuring lava fields and lava stacks.

    Trivia update - we had been on a run of first and second places but came crashing back to earth today, not featuring in the top five.

    Photos - Godafoss falls; and another shot of Godafoss; me (wearing almost every piece of clothing I bought with me) in front of some lava stacks; lake Myvatn’s crater lake; Dentafoss falls; Myvatn baths; another shot of the baths (I’m in there somewhere...).
    Read more