Спутник
Показать на карте
  • День 69

    Face to Face with A Cassowary

    25 апреля 2019 г., Австралия ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    It’s so nice to be back in our campervan. For one, my Nespresso coffee machine has missed me and we had a comfortable sleep last night even though it poured outside with tropical rain.

    We set about cleaning everything in site. Jen does basket loads of sodden, smelly clothes washing whilst I pack away all the camping gear and give the campervan a good clean.

    It feels good to have some pleasantries and I find hidden away in the fridge freezer a couple of hot cross buns left over from Easter.

    The caravan park is right on South Mission Beach with views out to Dunk Island. It’s quiet as all the Easter campers have gone home.

    A large impressive Cassowary comes visiting from the bush land surrounding the caravan park. We had been told to watch out for them as the Mission Beach area is a Cassowary sanctuary.

    The Cassowary seems unfazed and used to campers as it scouts the camp site looking for food. In the wild, they can be aggressive so it’s good advice to just smile, be nice and stay well clear of its dagger like claws. It takes an attraction to the black body work of our car as it can see its own reflection so I bravely move in between it and the Kluger and direct the Cassowary away. It seems relaxed enough and moves quietly on without any resistance.

    The Cassowary is common to New Guinea and tropical Australia. As a flightless bird, It stands as tall a man and has a distinct blue face and a ridge atop its head.

    News just in... 53 minutes ago.

    “A Cassowary bird native to Australia will be auctioned off, after killing its owner earlier this month”.

    Well that says it all. Smile, be nice and stay well clear. It’s amazing how many animals from this land are extremely dangerous and even predatorial.; Snakes, Spiders, Crocodiles, Sharks, Jelly Fish and now we add the Cassowary to the list.

    Even a Wombat got into our tent a few years ago and stole our loaf of bread. It made a big hole in the tent so that’s predatorial enough for me...

    We drive from South Mission Beach to Mission Beach Village and esplanade. Mission beach is a series of coastal villages with a bohemian mix of local beach houses, cafes/shops, tourist accommodation, backpacker facilities and caravan parks.

    It’s quiet, laid back and tropical so just the place for us to recover for a few days.

    Today is Anzac Day so we have set up big TV and tuned into the Anzac Day AFL game, Collingwood v Essendon. Jen is barracking hard and for those from overseas who are not sure what that means, she shouts loudly at her team Collingwood especially if they do something wrong.

    Go Pies!

    We stroll up to the Mission Beach surf club and find a seat at their restaurant called Tuskers.

    The restaurant has been recently voted the best chips in far North Queensland. As we are desperate to replenish our protein levels, we order the award winning chips with succulent steak and red wine jus. The steak was huge and at the end, nothing was left on the plate. They are generally open Fri, Sat & Sun plus public holidays.
    Читать далее