Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 86

    Daytona to Titusville, FL

    November 14, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 75 °F

    Daytona was a decent stop for us. I have to tell you though, it didn't start out well and it colored the whole rest of the week for us. On the first day, we decided to rent a car. To get to the rental car place, we have to take an Uber. The Uber driver proceeded to let us know in the 10 minutes it took to get us from marina to car, that Daytona was a very unsafe place. He told us beheadings had taken place at the beach during bike week and that all the homeless people we saw lining the outside of the beach area were all mentally and criminally insane, were packing weapons and had government approval to be there. It was NOT a great introduction to Daytona.

    Despite the crazy Uber driver, we got out and walked when we could. The rain and wind were such that we had to get out in between strong systems. There was a beautiful park, a great beach, a pretty cool boardwalk and a huge metropolitan city to explore. Dave worked on those oil leaks. It was a very stressful 8 hours for him, only to come out the end with knowledge that what he had done had not fixed the problem. So, all in all, Daytona was FINE. :) We got very very wet and made very little progress. Isn't the boating life so glamorous?

    We are chomping to get to the Bahamas - especially now that our first guest (Ella) is booked to meet us. We are watching the weather like hawks and moving down the coast at whatever pace is required to meet mother nature where she demands.

    Today we made it to Titusville and the wind was BLOWING. We had wanted to anchor, but when we pulled into the anchorage, I kid you not when I say, there were literally 4 boats blown up against the rocks 1/2 sunk under water. We conferenced (this is is a nice word for what really happened) and decided to move into the marina in the 20 mph winds and see Titusville and wait for tomorrow's easy blow. Titusville proved to be all that it was advertised. A small community who's claim to fame is that they are a 20 minute driving distance from cool things like the Kennedy Space Center and Great Beaches.

    What Could Go Right? We have some dry areas of the boat. We can go to those areas and watch TV or play on our phones and the dogs are happy there. We have SO MUCH food on our boat, we never have to leave if we don't want to and have a nice meal.

    What Could Go Wrong? Besides the continued oil leak, water leaks, battery issues and wind that whips the boat around like it is a toy? Well, I don't know of much more. Let's just say, it is not my favorite week of boating. If it weren't for our car and getting out to do things and see more of the area, this entire post may be different!

    Here's to the adventure we continue......
    Read more