Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Colonial Williamsburg

    September 18, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 73 °F

    After Shields Tavern, our historical exploration of Colonial Williamsburg continued. Here's a little history nugget for you - as I mentioned, it was the capital of Virginia beginning in 1705, when it moved from Jamestown.

    Apparently, Jamestown burned down a lot both from attacks and carelessness. Also, it was not the favorite spot of the governor at the time. The College of William and Mary lured the Virginia General Assembly to Williamsburg, where it stayed the capitol until Thomas Jefferson moved it to Richmond in 1780. Williamsburg was to easily attacked by sea, whereas, Richmond could be better defended from the British during the Revolutionary War.

    Our afternoon was a blend of education and exploration. Despite the heat, the enthusiasm remained high as we embarked on a walking journey. From the opulence and grandeur of the governor’s mansion to the matters of state at the Capitol building, our guide had a story to tell at every stop.

    We stepped further back in time with visits to various craft houses including the silversmith, the barber/wig maker, the silversmith, and the shoemaker, where artisans dressed in period garb engaged us with tales and demonstrations of their crafts, bringing the history of the colony to life right before our eyes. A high point was the stocks and the jail. We stood in the cell where Blackbeard’s crew awaited their trial. Another bit of excitement happened with my group. The Marquis de La Fayette trotted by on his horse, Ajax, talked with us a bit and let us pet Ajax.

    As our time in Williamsburg drew to a close, we found our heads full of knowledge and our legs needing a rest. We now head to a much-anticipated BBQ dinner, where we'll power up for a mini-golf adventure later tonight.

    FindPenguins limits each post to 20 photos and 2 videos. In our Facebook Group there are more pictures.
    Read more