Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Ready for island life 🌴

    October 25, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Travel South ✈️ 🛥️ : After Chiang Mai we were ready to see for ourselves what Southern Thailand is so famous for - its Islands. Flights were unexpectedly expensive so we didn’t fly directly to Koh samui - but Surat Thani a coastal town. After an overnight stay at an airport hotel we made our way to the Harbour early the next morning. The Organisation was smoother than anticipated after reading some questionable accounts in reviews. But maybe after traveling for so long you just adjust your expectations, thinking that 20min late is basically on time and plastic chairs at the top deck is a great spot. Luckily the sea was relatively calm and the daunting clouds didn’t actually rain.
    A generous 3h later, after a stopover in Koh Samui, and switching boats in Ko Pha-ngan we were finally headed for our destination - Ko Tao.

    Koh Tao - “ Turtle island”🐢 🌊:
    Koh Tao is the smallest of the three islands of the Chumphuon Archipelago in the gulf of Thailand. A rock in the ocean populated by diving schools. It is actually the cheapest place to learn diving in the world - well cheap is a relative term when it comes to scuba diving. In comparison to Koh Samui& Koh Phangan which are known for their beach parties & resorts, Koh Tao is the more laid back island.
    We were really excited seeing the island come closer and closer, covered in lushious green, surrounded by blue water and the shore lined by big rocks and wooden bungalows it looked exactly how we imagined a Thai tropical island to look like.
    Pickup was luckily straightforward with the hotel picking us up.

    Viewpoint Hotel 🌅:
    The drive up the hotel was quite adventurous with steep roads that had so much elevation gain our ears popped. Well it is called Viewpoint Hotel. We were instantly in love with the hotel, really friendly people and the best view of the bay. We chose to stay not at the main Sairee Beach but one bay further - absolutely beautiful.

    Oceansound Diving 🤿 🐠: In the evening we walked past the beach to the center of the bay to check in at the dive shop. After much deliberation and research we chose Oceansound diving + Yoga, the welcome was great by our instructor Chris. and we were really excited for the next morning to start our course
    Read more