Satellite
  • Day 13

    Critters, Museums, Fishies and Shopping

    June 1, 2022 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Well onto the next adventure. We went to bed last night after a busy day. You drift off to sleep and dream of the day on the water. Then you wake up to a bite on your arm (kinda felt a large black fly bite). I turn on the light to see this creature scurrying on the comforter. I spring out of bed grab a shoe and whack the thing. Because the bedding is soft it just scurries in another direction. I think I just made it angry now! I fold the comforter (shoe and all) into a packet and drag it outside. I have been quiet this whole time trying not to wake the girls. When I’m outside I unfold everything and watch it scurry to the planter and then to the wall.

    Laura must have heard something and has come to see what is wrong. I can only think to tell her to stay inside so she doesn’t get hurt. I grab my phone, then the camera to get a picture incase it is poisonous. Laura is now freaking out and goes to check her and Nicole’s bedroom. Now Nicole is awake and has to come and check my bite. Laura has gone all mafia ninja mode and is now checking everywhere she can for more critters. My bed gets torn apart, behind the nightstands, under the couch, under the bed, in the bathroom.

    After we calm down a bit (not much but a bit) I take a Benadryl to get the inflammation down. I of course get on line to see if I can find out what bit me. Yeah, check out the picture below. They are called Scolopendra cingulata and are ugly centipedes/scorpion type things with a lot of legs and a scorpion tale.

    We head cautiously back to bed for the rest of the night. The next morning it is more like a bee sting and I have survived to write another blog. I have to admit, driving is nothing to this little adventure.

    We have awoken to a beautiful day. Our visitor from last night has left the premise (as far as we can tell) or was eaten by one of the cats around here. My arm is not as red and feels like a bee sting where the ache has just gone up the arm a bit. Basically, I’m fine.

    Today we have a tour at the Atlantis the Lost City museum. It was very interesting. First you see a movie about how the city was built and lived and then destroyed by a volcano eruption. The movie is a 9D experience meaning that you sit in a chair that tilts and rumbles. You have a set of 3D glasses, headphones to listen to the story and then they throw fake ‘volcanic ash’ (soap bubbles) and water sprits to flush out the experience. After the movie there are several interactive boards that describe the society back then. After this they have a hologram where you can chit chat with Plato about how he saw civilization. They also have a diorama that shows what Atlantis looked like according to Plato. All and all it was well worth the time and money. The link to it is: https://www.lost-atlantis.com/

    After this we went to the lively part of Fira to meander the shops. The three of us went to a fish spa. It is a spa where little fishies clean your feet while you have a glass of wine. We also had a hot wax treatment for our ears. This was a lot of fun. Laura squealed a lot due to the fish ‘kissing’ between her toes. Here is a link if you want to find out more about this treatment: https://www.facebook.com/FishSpaSantorini/ .

    There just happens to be a jewelry store across the street and we are three women. Yes, in we go! I find a nice necklace and 2 rings. The girls also find necklaces, rings and ankle bracelets. By now we are just hungry. We find an absolutely wonderful restaurant called The Pelican Kipos. It had a wonderful atmosphere as soon as we walked in. There were benches with tables and chairs, cozy little nook where you felt like you had a private table. The wait staff were wonderful! Nicole and I spit some appetizers; baked feta and mushrooms in wine sauce. Laura has potatoes au gratin type appetizer. I had the sea bass and our waitress even de-boned it for me at the table! Nicole had a chicken with cream sauce and Laura had a pork medallion dish. We were stuffed by the time we finished!

    We head back to the house and I am ready for some rest and relaxation. The girls however are heading out clubbing. We are leaving tomorrow and I have my reservations about their choices. However, they are 35 years old so it’s up to them. They get a taxi to meet the at the parking area and off they go. Me? I stay home and pack up my stuff, have a shower and write this blog. I know, boring!
    Read more