Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Passau Day 5

    October 24, 2015 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    Known as the Venice of Bavaria because it is situated at the juncture of The Inn, Ilz and Danube Rivers, Passau has survived endless floods, most recently in 2013.

    Because it rained so much during the last couple of weeks, we could dock directly in town. ..unlike earlier tours which used buses more often because water levels were very low, after a dry, hot summer. I'm glad we didn't come earlier in the season!

    After breakfast we took a 90 minute walking tour, including the breathless Cathedral of St Stephen. Which is built in the Baroque style and has an exquisite interior of white ornamentation and Italian frescoes. The windows are of clear glass because they are smaller than large stained glass windows in Gothic cathedrals and must let in the light.

    The 17,388 pipe organ, the largest in a European Catholic cathedral, is necessary because the heavily ornamented interior absorbs much if the sound. We were surrounded by music during a 30 minute concert at the end of our morning because the organ has five sections: three along the rear wall, one near the altar and the fifth in the ceiling. This was quite a surprise treat from Tauck!
    Read more