Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 28

    Heron Island

    15 ottobre 2022, Australia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    We’ve left the security of Matty for a couple of days, to stay on Heron Island: https://www.heronisland.com/

    Had to do a mini pack for the weekend, which was surprisingly hard. All our bits and bobs have found their spots in Matty now, and for some reason it was tricky to assemble what we needed.

    The catamaran takes two hours. There were warnings about the sea being choppy these last few days, and when we boarded I wasn’t sure how reassured I felt about seeing sick bags everywhere 🤢

    Anyway, it was all fine, a bit of a jump every now and then on the open ocean, but pleased to report no sick bags were deployed 😅

    Heron is an island eco resort, which is shared with a variety of native and migrating birds, plus green and loggerhead turtles, who are just starting to nest here now.

    In the sun the crystal clear, turquoise water surrounding the island shimmies and sparkles. Different shades of aquamarine graduate across the ocean, which is teeming with fish. The waves break gently over the reefs and coral cays. It really is a wow moment when you step off the boat.

    We check in, and wind our way through the trees and chattering birds to our room. Oh the novelty of sleeping on a ‘normal’ bed, having an en suite, and a terrace! It feels like the lap of luxury 😊

    Col goes off for a dive, and I go on an island tour. The guide (who is a marine biologist) isn’t an expert on birds and trees, but she knows about the inmates here and it’s a very informative session.

    There are birds nesting everywhere right now, they chat to each other constantly. This is their island, they have priority, but somehow the mix of humans and tourism doesn’t put them off and they go about their birdie business and we go about ours. The birds do get a chance to assert themselves, however, as they poop everywhere - so we’re bound to get caught at some point!

    After our activities, we sit looking across the ocean for a bit. There is a cooling wind. Everyone seems chilled. What a magical place.

    After dinner, we go to the helipad for a stargazing session - there is minimal light pollution here.

    It takes a short while for our eyes to adjust to the dark, but the Milky Way is immediately just there, stretching like a long band of paleness above our heads. WOW. The stars hang low and twinkle like beacons. We see shooting stars and Jupiter and Saturn with the naked eye and through a telescope. Stunning.
    Leggi altro