Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Hobart

    February 20 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    So we’re now in the southern hemisphere which means SUMMER ☀️☀️☀️

    A chilled day which was much needed. After brekkie and some general sorting of stuff (which, now set free from their confines, has quadrupled in mass), our first job was to get our phones sorted with Telstra.

    We’d bought SIMs the day before, then spent the evening trying to get them to work. We became well acquainted with the massively helpful message ‘something’s not right’. We were frustrated (to say the least) and had to concede a win to the SIM cards.

    We marched into Telstra, took a deep breath, and recounted our woes. Turns out it’s a known issue, nothing to do with us 🫤The very helpful Luke set us up within 20 mins - happy days.

    We then pottered about for the rest of the day, getting our bearings (well, Col did, I’d still get lost in a blink) and getting tuned into Hobart’s chilled vibe.

    There were fishing vessels in the marina, selling their fresh catches of the day, most fish unknown to us.

    Our accom is next to the University of Tasmania, with marine and Antarctic studies the main focus. Didn’t know Hobart was a pushing off point for Antarctica. There’s also a recreated Antarctic expedition hut, for a chappie called Mawson, which we’ll visit tomorrow.

    Col flew the drone for some great aerial shots, then we spotted a scenic seaplane flight possibility so hoping we might get to see things from above for ourselves tomorrow……🤞🏻
    Read more