Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Bruny Island

    February 23 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 15 °C

    A must visit, according to all the guidebooks, so that was enough for us. Thankfully much cooler today, after the scorching temps of yesterday.

    There are various ways you can get to Bruny, but with the organised tours pricy, starting at 7am (nope!) and the itinerary, dictated to you, we opted to take Sheila across on the ferry ourselves. A great plan as it turned out, the ferry is larger but similar to the Sandbanks Ferry (no chains though) and you roll on/off very efficiently.

    Bruny has a long ‘good’ road down its spine which we drove along, and smaller gravel roads elsewhere which were off limits to Sheila.

    The coast line was beautiful with empty beaches, pure white sands and just our footprints.

    There were foodie stop offs en route, cheese, beer, chocolate, oysters (the word shucked new to me) and a place for a cuppa.

    The island has a narrow double sandbar, called ‘The Neck’, keeping the north and south bits tethered. We had great views of The Neck from an observation platform (with way too many steps 😬) and the accompaniment of relentless howling winds as we climbed.

    We popped into some of the foodie shops, and encountered ‘a disgorged from their coach’ tour group, taking over the chocolate shop, as we exited.

    Having finally stowed everything from our bags away in the morning (stowed, never to be found again) we had a clear run at dinner, managing to eat at a reasonable time.

    Great first day with Sheila, who I think enjoyed it too 😁
    Read more