Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    The road to Strahan (‘Strawn’)

    March 3 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 15 °C

    Up and off promptly as we’re ‘movin’ on’ today. Said goodbye to the idyllic beach round the corner from the camp, wish I could take it with us, it’s so lovely.

    So we’re off to ‘The West Coast’. It’s a very windy day and in high sided Sheila, we felt the wind buffeting when parked up, so driving in it……an extra dimension for Col to battle (not to mention the much ‘loved’ serpentine roads!)

    We found ourselves driving past Emu Valley, rhododendron garden which kept coming on and off our ‘to do’ list. We decided to go in and despite a complete absence of flowering rhododendrons (wrong season!), we had a lovely, if not bracing, windy walk. The Japanese garden was beautiful. We even saw the head of a platypus peeking out one of the lakes.

    Then we got on with the business of driving, or rather Col did, I tried to keep the music going in between snoozes.

    The drive was about 3 hours or so, but it felt way longer. We stopped in at a lay-by near Rosebury for the usual refreshment, then eventually arrived at Strahan late afternoon.

    Still very windy, as we arrived and we were parked up under massive trees which swished constantly, with each gust! We hunkered down for the night, but it’s defo going to be a cold one 🥶
    Read more