Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Geothermal day

    March 14 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    It rained in the night and we could hear the pitter patter on the veranda roof and trickling down a pipe at the back of the cabin. One of the reasons the cacti do so well here is the slopey-ness of the gardens. They get just enough rain, which then drains away fairly quickly.

    Got out a bit more briskly, as off to Rotorua, geothermal land. Arrived at Whakarewarewa Village, and started with a tour around a traditional Māori village, where traditions and customs are still upheld. Our guide was great, an ‘old timer’, wise, funny, personable.

    There were geothermal vents all round, piping out hot steam, like a kettle. The villagers use the heat and steam of the pools to cook, bathe etc. I’m not sure how much the youngsters embrace the older ways, but it was really interesting to hear about them.

    As we were walking up the hill in the village, we passed police, ambulance and fire brigade parked up. Turns out something tragic had happened to someone, and we were all ushered out the village. You could see shock and disbelief on the villagers faces. It was obviously a horrible thing.

    On a normal day, I’m imagining some folk must find their village being on the tourist map intrusive, but today, it must have been unbearable for them.

    We decided to go to Wai-o-tapu, for our geothermal walk. We’d been there before and it’s possible it had diminished in some parts, but it was still amazing. The pools bubble and burble away, a mix of noxious elements, and they’re boiling too, so it’s strictly look but don’t touch!

    Being a dampish day, there was lots of steam, which gave it a mystical air….. and last but not least, there was the wonderful sulphurous smell swirling in the air as we walked round. It doesn’t sound great (akin to a hard boiled egg smell!) but after a while it’s part of the landscape and really appealing and desirable!
    Read more