Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    South of the North Island

    March 21 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Been on a southward trajectory these last few days and we’re now at the bottom of the North Island, in the capital, Wellington.

    Yesterday’s overnight in the small town of Ohakune was an ‘en route’ pit stop with the bonus of the most stunning views of Ruapehu. Sometimes the places you least expect offer the best moments.

    Tonight’s stay has ‘city’ noise, hustle & bustle, and parking restrictions. We needed a quick drop off point outside our hotel, and circled a few times in the hope of bagging the only available space. A courier was stubbornly parked there, so we had to opt for a 12 min paid time space across the road.

    We were like a speeded up movie, unloading a myriad of bags, crossing a busy road with said bags, dumping stuff in reception, checking in, then offloading everything in our room. Col then hot footed it back to the car so we could return it to Avis - all in 12 mins! After that frenzy, we kept seeing different cars effortlessly pulling in and out of the elusive parking space which should have been ours!

    Turns out we’re near the cable car which takes you up the hill, offering views of the city and Cook Strait, which on a bright day like today looks great. We had a stroll around the botanical gardens which was lovely but incredibly hilly. I don’t think I’ve ever been at such an acute angle whilst struggling up a particularly steep path. My knees were not happy!

    The advantage of a city stay is easy food, and we bag a Chinese takeaway to take back to our room.

    Interislander tomorrow - and hello South Island.
    Read more