Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    Christchurch gather

    March 24 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    Drove into central Christchurch today, to meet up with everyone and to see how the place had changed after the 2011 quake. I could remember some areas, cathedral square and the strip, but not much else.

    The cathedral didn’t do well in the quake, but is now in the process of being rebuilt, after the usual lengthy ‘will/won’t we’ debate which lasted years. Had a good view of the works from the library, which was a great place in itself.

    The rebuilding has given the city a chance to rethink the location and layout of some buildings, and the place looked great, apart from some still derelict shells which have been left and are now graffiti’d!

    It was a busy Sunday, especially Riverside Market, where we ate lunch. A great concept with lots (I mean lots!) of different kiosks, eateries etc, so we could all choose what we wanted and then eat together. Similar to a food court in a mall, but way better.

    Every time I looked around, someone else had joined - I think at one point there was about 13 of us. Everyone had grown up a tad since we’d seen them 16 yrs ago! Fab day.

    Footnote: felt our first tremor!
    Read more