Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Arrowtown & Queenstown

    April 1 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Suffering airshow withdrawal symptoms, we decided to go to Queenstown and Arrowtown, just an hour down a twisty, mountainous road 😬

    After some obligatory snaps (every corner reveals a new perspective) and a few fearsome switchbacks, we found ourselves descending through a foggy valley, and into Arrowtown. Along with Cardrona, it was another gold mining town back in the day, and had an olde worlde feel to it (had it not been for the cars, hoards of visitors etc!)

    It was very busy (had forgotten about the bank hols), but we managed to shoehorn ourselves into a parking space. Had a cuppa in a chocolate shop (plus a naughty choc bite) and rambled around the picturesque streets for a bit. It was bright but still cold and I was drawn to all the shops selling warm fluffy fleeces, cashmere ponchos etc. The prices, however, sent more shivers down my spine - expensive or what 😳

    We’ve been to Queenstown before and have always enjoyed the adrenaline fuelled vibe as well as the beautiful view of The Remarkables and Lake Wakatipu. Q’town is a hub for people wanting an ‘adventurous activitiy’ (a concept and inclination which is completely alien to me!).

    The first couple of times we were here, Col booked said activities (white water rafting, body boarding, paragliding etc) and on our first trip, he booked a bungee jump from the Kawarou Bridge. This is where bungee jumps were first (and bafflingly) born! Sad (and a bit relieved) to say his old and bent bones wouldn’t take those forces now, so bungee jumping is out!

    Q’town was still as lovely as ever, but busy (of course) and with some new buildings etc, which is the same as most places we’ve revisited on this trip.

    Lovely meander around the streets and lake front, where the trusty TSS Earnslaw begins and ends its relaxing cruises across Lake Wakatipu. We reminisced about the most beautiful NZ lamb meal we had once, which we still remember, and a breakfast place we liked (now long gone). Had completely forgotten about the luge and gondola, but we can do those later this week.

    Drove home a different way (avoiding the vertiginous switchbacks) and stopped briefly at the Kawarau (bungee) Bridge and Cromwell (which is all about fruit!)

    Q’town pics on next post….
    Read more