Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    Change over day

    April 6 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Much to our dismay, the time had come to leave our cabin and 10 day stay in Cardrona & Wanaka. We’ve loved it here, the scenery, vibe, perfect weather, you name it. I’m sure in winter it’s blooming freezing, as it’s one of NZ’s prime skiing zones, but I bet the area is just as amazing covered in snow. Anyway, leave we must…..

    Next stop Twizel. On our maiden trip here, back in 1999, Twizel was the first motel stop off on a South Island ’family convoy sightseeing extravaganza’. We (Gordon, Carolyn & Kyle, and Paul) all stayed in a little motel and for us it was so exciting to be off on our first, much anticipated NZ tour.

    There’s defo more of Twizel now than back then, a bigger shopping area, more buildings etc, but we’ve always harboured a nostalgia for the place, hence this choice of stop!

    Our home for the next 3 nights is a beautiful modern cottage. It’s immaculate and very welcoming, as were our hosts who were gardening as we pulled up. They have a cute puppy who is mega excited by anything and everything and two kitties. The black kitty is a purrr machine, have yet to meet the other.

    The garden and surrounding area is open and peaceful, with gorgeous velvety hills and the Southern Alps as the backdrop. Just lovely.

    It only took a couple of hours to get here, so we arrived mid afternoon for a change. Very nice to be settled in early enjoying a cuppa in the afternoon sun.
    Read more