Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    Lake Ohau and hydro-electricity

    April 8 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    ….. and a starry night
    Really low cloud this morning and it wasn’t shifting quickly this time. We headed out to Lake Ohau, which is well is off the Lakes ‘Tekapo & Pukaki’ beaten track. The latter are on a main road south, so you can’t miss them - and not just because of the stunning blues.

    Ohau probably prefers being hidden and not having annoying tourists tramping all around it. It’s more modest than the other two, less showy. You’ve got to really want to see it to drive there, so Ohau knows you really make the effort just to see it!

    The sun had burnt off the worst of the clouds once we got there and the iridescent water reflected the blue sky, with just a few wisps of low cloud lingering.

    Now the day had perked up, we half heartedly considered the idea of a scenic flight, but the heli place at Pukaki airport was resolutely shut, so that was that. Instead we headed to Twizel for lunch, then to Ohau A & B hydro stations for a look around. Hydro is big here, due to the number of lakes that all play their part in the power production.

    Got back mid pm, to continue the ‘nightmare repacking scenario’ 🙄. We fly to Sydney on Wed, Dubai at the weekend, then home on Sunday. Our millions of little bags of this and that, which have followed us around in the car for the last month, now need to be firmly tackled and tamed and squished in to our original luggage 😱.

    My spirits are low, as are my hopes for success….
    Read more