Satellite
  • Day 7

    Smashup & Strudel

    January 23, 2020 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 4 °C

    Today we decided that I would ski in the area I liked and Tom would ski with his buddies on tougher terrain. We would all meet at noon for lunch. Good plan.

    It is another beautiful day here, not a cloud in the sky and just a few degrees below zero. I am skiing the less challenging stuff but still out of my comfort zone. But I am skiing in Austria! Things are going along well until someone comes from behind me and takes me down. Skies, poles and legs go flying. Now on the ground I do the check to see if everything still worked. It did. Now to collect myself and equipment. One of my poles had landed in the middle of the ski path and I needed it to be out of the way so there would not be another wipeout! I half crawled and used my other poles drag it out of the way. I managed to get my ski on, get righted, poles in hand and went on my way still shaking. The women who sent me flying had waited to make sure I was ok and apologized for the accident. I, of course reassured her I was A-ok.

    I continued skiing but was extremely cautious of the skiers around me as the hill was quite busy today.

    Tom surprises me with an early meet. We go up the lift again but I am done skiing we pick up our skis and head up to the spot to meet the others. I(we) decide to walk, mostly up hill. In a perfect world Tom would have preferred to take another chair to the top and ski down; it would have taken less time and less sweat on his part but I wouldn’t hear of it. I had been to the top and had seen it all! So we walked, not our best moment. Our reward was a plate of delicious apple strudel with vanilla. It was warm, comforting and delicious. Perfect end of day.

    I took the ride down in the gondola and Tom skied down we arrived within a few minutes of each other.

    At dinner we met up with friends and talked over our days adventures! I talked about the strudel!
    Read more