Satellite
  • Day 35

    Leipzig

    August 17, 2016 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Stayed overnight at the "Markgraf" hotel.....pretty much in the middle of a reasonably large city (say a million people). I'm getting okay at riding in big congested places, I can tell as I'm now only averaging a friendly horn blast every 2.5 kms instead of the previous 500 metres. I'm aiming for a whole day without a stern look or horn blast. The city itself wasn't too much to talk about, but the ride to and from was great with fantastic scenery. The hotel booking promised a mini-bar but they lied, so I did my chain clean and lube in their driveway without putting something down to catch the spill.......they won't forget me for a while (at least 3 weeks before it washes away).

    I got all the Europe maps working on my gps (used an Internet cafe in Hanover - really cheap and pretty fast over here. €1 an hour and I downloaded about 3 1/2 GB in 45 minutes). With my gps now working I've booked a couple of nights (this Sat and Sun) in the Czech Republic).

    I stopped at a place called Oschatz for lunch. You can never tell what a town/village is going to be like from the outside. Somehow I found my way to the square in the middle of town - just beautiful (see the first 2 pics). Had a great lunch (the food is fantastic and if you eat simple, pretty reasonable). Met and chatted with a couple of locals out for a motorbike ride. The road into Dresden followed a river, again beautiful.

    I'm in my hotel at Dresden now after checking in and having a walk round and dinner - my first pizza of the trip (I've been good). I just had to add in a pic last food pic at least until tomorrow. One last pic of the square in Dresden.

    Bye
    Read more