Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    Santiago de Compostela!

    August 11, 2021 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    We’re here! It’s rather stunning. Got up early as usual, just to have the last day be the same as we have been doing for the last five weeks. Foggy morning, then the sun started breaking through the trees. The last 6 miles into Santiago just flew by, and then we were there! A huge square in front of a cathedral. It’s full of people who have walked there from all over Spain and Europe. Ever person there is HAPPY! People are seeing people that they met on the trail weeks ago. It’s like meeting old friends you haven’t seen in ages. I got very choked up and emotional. Ran out of words, which is unusual for me.

    We started the process to get our Compostela certificates, but covid has made a mess of that too. We have a number, like in a store, for an interview with a church representative. Got our number soon after we got in, this morning, but at the end of the day we still had a ways to go. We’re hopeful we will get our certificates tomorrow, because we leave early Friday morning for Barcelona.

    Tomorrow I plan on going to early Pilgrims Mass at the cathedral. I’m not Catholic, but it’s open to pilgrims and supposed to be special. There are some cathedral tours we can take and we need to go to the train station for our tickets to Barcelona. Other than that, we plan on relaxing and relaxing, with maybe some relaxing mixed in.
    Read more