Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Gamla Stan / Djurgården, Sweden

    May 5, 2016 in Sweden ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Day 2:

    Today we went to this amazing coffee shop called Johan & Nyström. Their pour overs were some of the best we've had and the cardamom bullè was out of this world! We made our way north to Gamla Stan and all of the buildings were so old they didn't even seem real. It was fascinating to touch the original brick of buildings that were built before America was even a country. We found ourselves going down every street to be sure we didn't miss anything, and were awestruck at every turn.

    We continued our walking tour on to Djurgården, which is basically a vacation island owned by the royal family. There are open parks, forest land, an amusement park, museums, and a zoo. We visited one of the museums that we had researched earlier, Vasamuseet. The museum contains a ship that set sail in 1628, sank on its maiden voyage, and was recovered in the early 60s (Note: when Danielle's grandparents visited Sweden, Vasa had recently been recovered, and was being salvaged in a temporary shipyard). We were baffled at the incredible size of the ship and the intricate details all over.

    We would have liked to continue our walk around Djurgården and go to the zoo called Skansen, but we were exhausted and had to walk all the way back home to Södermalm. Next time :) We made our own twist on Swedish meatballs for dinner, showered, and now in true, exciting married couple fashion... bed time.

    Tomorrow, we plan to take the train to Västerås to visit with Danielle's family!

    Godnatt!
    Read more