Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Poas valcano

    March 18, 2016 in Costa Rica ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Coffee Plantation, Poas Valcano, and La Paz waterfall

    After being met in the hotel lobby at 6am (8 am us time) we took a ride to the coffee plantation. Both of us, being ADD were quickly bored and distracted by all the beauty of everything else around us. We managed to sneak away at one point to go look at a butterfly garden. Of course this made us the last ones to get on the bus

    We then went to Poas Valcano and took a fairly rigorous hike. Only us and 1 other person in our group did the entire hike. Everyone else turned back at the 1/4 point to return the easier way. We saw a lake made from a volcano crater and lots of amazing trees along the path.

    After getting back into the bus, we then headed to La Paz wildlife sanctuary and waterfall. This sanctuary has animals that have been injured or too accustomed to human interaction, that they are not able to live in the wild. We first passed through the bird aviary. I was very proud of Sarene as she would have never gone in an aviary before. After the birds we went to another butterfly garden. This one was a little bigger than the last. We saw my favorite butterfly, the morpho butterfly. Following the butterfly's were the monkeys, wild cats, frogs and orchids. After all the wildlife and plants we headed to another fairly intense hike to see 2 waterfalls. While the trail was very well maintained there were many steep, wet steps along the way.
    Read more