Satellite
  • Day 147

    Heading into the Black Hills

    October 15, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 46 °F

    Cold, crisp morning, but still nice and clear. There is still plenty of snow, but it is definitely melting. Auggie and I had a nice slushy walk this morning. So glad I remembered to pack my Ugg boots!

    We headed to the High Plains Heritage Center as per our plan. The museum is built up in this hill overlooking Spearfish and as we drove up the hill it looked deserted. Snow drifts on the walk but they had plowed the parking area. We were the only vehicle. So turns out they were delaying the opening until noon because of clean up from the snowstorm. They were closed completely the day before. But the onsite manager let us in anyway! So nice! So we toured the museum by ourselves, they even ran the introductory video in the theater for us.

    Spent about two hours enjoying the exhibits. The center covers the 5 plain states and had lots about cattle, cowboys, Indians and the frontier. It was not as professionally staged or lit like a big city museum, but there were so many personal history stories about families that have had multiple generations living here. Tons of memorabilia, and the world's largest barb wire collection!? Despite not being interested in barb wire, the rest was great!

    Gassed up both vehicles, $3.60 a gallon. Seems like prices have jumped about 50 cents since we left Michigan. Grabbed some lunch and got on the road again. Only went as far as Rapid City, just the outskirts because we want to visit Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park.

    Got in fairly early for us, about 2 p.m., and happily the snow had already melted here. Used this early stop to actually get on their wi-fi and do a little finance and email catch up. And Auggie and I had a nice long walk with out snow!
    Read more