Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 148

    The Black Hills

    October 16, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 68 °F

    Beautiful blue sky! A great day for sightseeing!

    After a slow start, (we are very good at this), we took off for Mt. Rushmore. We had been there once before (with Linley) but I just love seeing this monument! Breath taking especially as you experience it through the avenue of the flags to the grand viewing platform. Had hoped to do the Presidents Trail for a little closer view, but it was closed due to snow. We enjoyed the video presentation and the exhibit about the work itself. Just a fascinating story.

    Then headed into Custer State Park for some animal viewing. The drive to the park, a scenic forested highway, and the drive through the park (rolling, wooded plains) were both beautiful. As we drove to the park they had a couple of overlooks that gave you a view back to Rushmore. Passed through some rock tunnels that were less than 11' clear, crossed over big wooden bridges, and just enjoyed the mix of pine and yellow colored birches.

    The park did not disappoint. We stopped at the visitor center and watched the park video and then pretty much drove a loop (maybe 30 or 40 miles) through the park. Most of the bison were pretty much down at the south end of the park due to the time of year. Apparently they"round up" the vision and driver then to a larger coal area where the animals are given a check up and shots. Then they do pull the older and less healthy ones out. But sure where they go....
    But the remaining bison are slowly let back out into the park. So we did run into a number of bison that had been let out from the corral area.

    Also down in the corral end of the park were a friendly herd of burros. We had lots of fun trying to pet them and get pictures. We also saw a large flock of wild turkeys, more of our favorites, the little, busy prairie dogs, prong horn antelope, and some mountain sheep. A really fun and beautiful drive with great views as you drive up and down the rolling plains. Sun all day, air was clear, so colors were great! Not quite like Michigan with all the hardwood tree mix that had so many red and oranges. These were more like subtle mix of greens, rusts, and yellows.

    Back about 6 to the RV still unsure about tomorrow, really want to see another corner of the park and get a view of some of the "needle rocks" in this area. Got to work with calendar and map tomorrow...
    Read more