Satellite
  • Day 155

    Hwy 50, the loneliest hwy

    October 23, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 46 °F

    What better way to start the day then with a hot breakfast that some one else cooks and cleans up? We enjoyed walking over to the cafe and having breakfast served. Nice, clean and quiet. Remember we are out in the middle of nowhere!

    We were going to head straight to Great Badsin to at least drive the park, but the website indicated about 50% of the drive was closed for the season, it didn't even get to the bristlecone pine grove. In addition it was a very gray, and wet looking morning, so we just headed on our way.

    Filled up in Ely, has was over $4 a gallon, and out here your choices are 85, 88 or 91 octane. We were reluctant to buy the 85 for the RV, so we couldn't even go with the cheap stuff...

    Lunch stop in Eureka at a little cafe in a much older building. Most all these little towns have been struggling to survive since the late 1800s, all mining and cattle back then. Not much else even now.

    Evening stop in Cold Springs Station, old time pony express stop. Like the Border Inn from last night, it is a one stop shop. Cafe, bar, store, motel, and RV park with hook ups. They had about 15 sites, but they were all full. So they did let us park there and use the rest rooms for $10. It was just cold enough, low 40s, we used our little propane heater until we went to bed,

    The power source for this stop was pretty much exclusively through solar panels and some generator power. But like so many of these spots, they usually end up being a junk site behind the building. If your car, tractor, trailer is no longer functioning, just park it here and leave.

    But it was very quiet!
    Read more