Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 177

    Gunung Bromo, Java, Indonesia

    March 31 in Indonesia ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    After sunrise we drove down towards the plateau again, the driver once again dropping us off and pointing us into the direction of the stairs.

    We trudged through volcanic sand for a few minutes until reaching harder ground - unfortunately this came with a steep incline too! Possibly the hardest part of the walk, but thankfully it wasn't too warm. We had layered up for sunrise as it was actually cold, and this was where we unlayered again!

    There's a large staircase up to the crater which wasn't too bad to actually climb, as the steps weren't steep and there was multiple parts to stop that I took full advantage of.

    We had a magnificent view as we got to the top and the HUGE crater emerged right in front of us, although we could hear it from much further away. We enjoyed the cool breeze and stunning views for a few minutes until it started to get really busy and then the awful smell of eggs started - definitely signalling time to descend!

    We passed a temple at the bottom on our way down, although unable to go inside and also late back to the jeep we kept moving along.

    A brilliant adventure for us, the only thing we didn't appreciate was seeing horses being used to carry tourists to the bottom of the steps. We were in the minority of people who were actually walking so it was a booming business. A shame as South East Asia has plenty of other modes of transport that could be used for this, which would be far more fun!
    Read more