Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Prudhoe Island / Vansittart Bay

    May 1, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    [Day 7 - Exploring Prudhoe Island, Fishing, Swifts Bay Rock Art and steaming overnight to Vansittart Bay]

    On the tender boats at 6.30am this morning. Some chose the scenic trip, but I chose the fishing trip. Feeling like a pro fisherperson after yesterday's catch.

    We weren't having much success in the 'usual' spot as the current was too strong. Our guide found a spot for us a little way out of the bay. All of a sudden the fish were bighting, and I managed to land a Golden Trevally (GT, not to be confused with G&T), using a hand line and no gloves. Unfortunately, no photographic evidence of the catch.

    Quick trip to Swifts Bay

    Anchors were pulled up at 9.30 and we're off steaming around the Cape into Vansittart Bay. Arriving at 11.15, we're packed back unto the tender boats for a short cruise across Rocky Cove, where we went ashore to view some fabulous examples of the mysterious Bradshaw (Gwion Gwion) Paintings (dating back some 20,000 years) and some of the more modern Crawhand (dating back some 6,000 years ) and Wandjina rock art (dating back some 2,000 years). We also came across a small brook that had 6 stingrays resting in the shallows and some pretty native flowers.

    The girls were a little parched when we got back on board at 1.15pm (today is incredibly humid) ,so we all got stuck into the bubbles just before lunch. As you can tell, I hadn't had time to shower and change and I'm always having a serious bad hair day- it's unavoidable. We have along steam ahead of us this afternoon this evening, so most folks are in their rooms 'reading' (code word for sleeping). Oh, a there is a storm brewing!!!
    Read more