Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 59

    Day 59

    April 28 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Today we hiked Mount Yahiko in 22°c so safe to say by the end we were very sweaty and gross!

    It took us a while to reach the nearest station which actually looked more like a temple from the outside than a train station! However, it only has one track and one train route so it’s a very small station so it definitely gave it a bit more character!

    Heading up to the base with as many water bottles as we could fit in the bag we walked for about 1km before reaching the dreaded stairs. We then proceeded to climb up the steps through the forest for 3km. 3km of steps- absolute hell for me. It was a beautiful setting through the forest but if I see another step today I might loose my mind!

    Huffing and puffing we made it to the top where I collapsed onto a bench and sent Jacob to go get an icecream which was much needed and deserved.

    The view from the top was absolutely beautiful with a view of Niigata and the surrounding rice paddies one way and the Sea of Japan the other way.

    We tucked into a bowl of ramen at the restaurant at the top with floor to ceiling windows - definitely had worse views! Before heading back towards the station to head home for the day.

    On the train back we actually got some lovely views of the setting Sun reflecting on the rice paddies. I am constantly reminded of the absolute beauty in this country, so lucky to be here!
    Read more